Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Paranoia and Cell Phones: The Problem with Art


...Several weeks had passed since Art had begun reading the "blog". He and Frank had not discussed the matter further, and to tell the truth, Frank was not overly concerned. What Art did was arts business, he wasn't about to get involved. (That would be an expensive expenditure of precious energy)

...But today the matter was brought up again in a way which rudely jolted Franks complacency and drained his carefully reserved energy supply. Frank had just walked into his office, a bag of salted peanuts in hand, when a knock sounded on the door. "Come in" he said. The door opened and Art came in so quickly all Frank saw was the passing blur of his white face.

... "What's wrong?" Frank asked in surprise, pausing in the middle of putting a peanut in his mouth. "I just had a close call", his friend replied, "The boss thinks I'm taking too long editing the blogs I'm assigned." Art plopped down in his chair, mopped his forehead, and held out his hand for a peanut. Frank raised his eyebrow as he gave him one and sat down in his own chair, "So what?" His friend looked at him in disbelief, "So what? What kind of question is that!" The disheveled Art cried. Suddenly he looked up and scanned the ceiling, "I think the room may be tapped" he whispered.

...Frank felt himself choke on a peanut and when he recovered he could only stare at his friend. "You think the rooms tapped?" he finally blurted. "Yeah" Art said, still whispering. "Why on earth would anyone want to listen to anything you or I have to say?" Frank questioned further. Art looked a bit sheepish as he rolled his purple chair next to Franks orange one again. "Remember Frank, I'm reading the blogs!" he said in the softest voice he could muster.

...Again Frank could only stare. The seemed to be getting hot and something red flashed before his eyes as he became angry. (An unusually strong emotion in these days) "You've been reading Blogs" he cried, the small goatee on his chin quivering. "I thought you were only going to check out one Blog, now your saying Blogs plural!" Franks friend tried to hush him, "Keep your voice down Frank before someone hears you!"

..."Why should I care if someone hears me?" Frank continued even louder. "I'll tell you what I'm going to do, I'm going to march over to the Boss' office and spill the beans!" Art cried out in horror, "No Frank, don't do that!" "And why not?" Frank asked trying to calm down because he was feeling so extremely uncomfortable. "Because I've found something important, worth investigating, and if you give me away I'll never get to the bottom of it." Art said.

..." How important, what about?" Frank asked, not sure he wanted to know. "It's been passed down in my family for generations-just two words" Art began, while rolling his chair away from Frank. He opened a drawer of his desk and began rummaging through stacks of paper and candy trash. Frank had never seen the inside of Art's drawers and could not help but make a mental note that his drawers were better organized. Absent mindedly he opened up one of his own drawers for a peak and felt a glow of satisfaction that his drawers were indeed tidier.

..."Ah ha!" Art cried suddenly, and Frank jumped while slamming his drawer closed. " Here it is Frank" Art said rolling his chair over yet again. Franks friend held out an antique cell phone, well preserved for its extreme age. (People do not use cell phones anymore, they use brain cell phones which are implanted above the ear for permanent use.) " I procured a charger for it off of X-bay and keep it juiced" was Art's explanation as he flipped it open and turned it on. Frank wanted to laugh at the stupidity of its design, imagine the inconvenience of having to flip it open to use it. Art had gone to the text message screen and pulled up something. He now held it up for Frank to read the two words displayed on the screen. "Christianity Undercover".

..."What does it mean?" Frank asked. "I'm still not sure" replied Art, "But I came across a link in that blog on blogeology I showed you last week". Frank shook his head, "Why does it matter?"
"It matters to me Frank, that message has been in my family for years and no one knows what it means" Art said. "When I found a link about something similar I came across a trail, I think I'm on to something!" Art was excited now. "I can't stop reading the blogs!" he cried.

...A slight noise at the door caught there attention and they turned with their hearts in their mouths. The door swung open and there stood the boss.....

5 comments:

Robert L. said...

If you make me wait two weeks for the next post like you did the last one...I will...Well I may have to go find my self a book to read from now till then that will get me off the edge of my seat. :)
How long does it take you to write one post by the way? Do you just sit down and do it all at once or do you have to break it up days at a time.

Robert L.

P.S. Good job.

SavannahLynn said...

Great Lauren,What are you thinking leaving your readers in such suspense???
Savannah

Lauren said...

I am glad everyone is in suspense, that is the point of these episodes :)

Robert, I usually sit down and write out my post on a piece of notebook paper and then type it up on the computer. The writing takes about 10-20 minutes, while typing on the other hand....well typing can take a little longer:)

Robert L. said...

Well that is rather fast indeed. I have been working on a "short story" for a web group that Calvin and I are part of. All the members are writing one, however I have made so little head way in mine over the two or three month span that it was mandated for us to write, that it is not even funny. So the respect I have for your talents in writing I must admit grow with each "Frank the Blogeologist" post.

Robert L.

Lauren said...

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments!