Pages

Monday, August 25, 2008

Franks Parabola: Becoming an Intercept



...For a few seconds the room was so quiet only the faint electronic buzz computers make could be heard. (Even in the twenty- third century computers "buzz") Then the Boss spoke. "Whats going on boys?" he inquired in a condescending tone. Frank stole a quick look at Art, who had shoved the cell phone in his pocket and now looked positively wild.

...Since it was evident that Art either wouldn't or more likely couldn't speak, Frank cleared his throat. "I must say you gave us a bit of a start sir, we just talking about um- you!" Art made a slight sound, something like a fish out of water. "You were talking about me eh?" asked the Boss. Frank only hoped the last of his and Arts conversation had not been overheard by his Boss as he launched into an impromptu speech. "Yes, and a marvelous topic it is sir! I must say you run a tight ship around here; the floors are always spotless, the desks are immaculate, the windows well washed, the staff punctual, your picture on the wall perfectly reflects the establishment, Oh and the floors are really clean-quiet immaculate"- "Yes Frank", the Boss interrupted, "You already said that but I appreciate your approval. However you are rather quiet today Art."

... Franks head whirled, he had to intercept the Boss before Art gave them both away. From the way Art looked at that moment, Frank was sure it would only take a short second of eternity to send them both packing if he but opened his mouth. Frank saw the problem something like this.

...Imagine a coordinate graph; on it a parabola has been set in motion by the Boss between Y-intercept Frank, the vertex Art, and back up to Frank as an unknown coordinate. Now Frank would rather not find out what his other coordinate might be if the Boss met up with Art at the Parabolas vertex. In fact it is a good thing for Frank that this situation is not an algebraic equation because the answer looks messy. For now all Frank had to do was make sure that he was the vertex, not Art. (Math people will get what I'm talking about, the rest may want to pull out their dusty algebra books and review the section on Parabolas)

...Intercepting the Boss would be tricky, but Frank had to try! Art was looking more and more like a cornered cockroach and less like a respectable employee every second. "Er sir, Art is not doing so well today-yeah I think these peanuts were too roasted or something." The Boss looked incredulous "Peanuts too roasted, I've never heard of that." Frank nodded vigorously and tried to look sagacious. "O yes, there was an article about it in the International Geographic last week. In fact I'm not feeling so well myself." Frank rubbed his stomach for added effect- hoping the Boss would forget about Art.

...It worked, the Boss grew concerned. "Wow, I wonder if its serious- you know I eat peanuts myself- could I see the bag?" he asked. "Sure" Frank said handing him the package. "Oh my, the same brand! I really should go see about this" the Boss exclaimed laying his hand across his own stomach and inching toward the door. For a moment Frank wandered if he had missed his vocation, perhaps he should have been an actor. "You do that sir, I wouldn't take any chances!" he called after his Boss.

...Then he and Art were alone again. "Oh my gosh Frank, that was too close! And you were marvelous!" cried Art, speaking for the first time. "Yeah well", Frank said and was about to boast a bit about his incredible acting talents when Art jumped up. Seizing him by the shoulders Art exclaimed "Lets not waste anymore time, come on!" Frank found himself being whizzed down the hall and out the door. "where are we we going?" he gasped. "No time to talk, you'll see!" his impetuous friend cried. Art was definitely an unstable vertex.


A note to the side: I am not a "math person", at least I'm not brilliant in it :) But nor am I a "math hater", I do enjoy new mathematical concepts when they are properly explained to me. I believe I am a writer; at least I love to write! Because of this I enjoy seeing parallels between the mathematical world and real life situations.

6 comments:

SavannahLynn said...

Very Funny Lauren !!!but I liked it better when you read it to us:)You had better get busy writing.
Savannah

Kaz Maslanka said...

Hi Lauren,
I was doing a search on Math and Art and stumbled upon your blog … obviously you have an interest in math and writing … How about writing some mathematical poetry I think you would be great!

Thanks!
Kaz

Kaz Maslanka said...

... or at least Frank could write some math poems.

:)

Robert L. said...

Another good post, another captive audience. Score again.
Mathematical poetry? That is one I have never heard before. Good idea Mr. Kaz Maslanka. My brother just finished getting a degree in mathematics and physics, but he also took some art classes. I am sure he would be interested to hear the two combined.

Robert L.

Lauren said...

Thanks for the idea Kaz! I have never heard of mathematical poetry, but I love writing poetry in general. I will definitely have to investigate the concept!

Lauren Ashley

Robert L. said...

August 25th. Seven days ago. A week ago. One post ago. (Hint, Hint) Please we need another Frank the Blogeoogist post! :)


Robert L.